I’m looking at RPGs, and other games, at Origins Game Fair 2018. Right now it’s a winner of the “2015 BAMFsie award for Best Genre Emulation,” Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics. By Blackfall Press, LLC and Andy Klosky, this game is a superheroic tabletop RPG (details below). If you’re at Origins, Andy is running sessions of Cold Steel Wardens each night at 7:00 PM in the McKinley Room of the Hyatt. The game, Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics, can be purchased at the Studio 2 booth [Booth 423] between Crystal Castle and Greater than Games.
In addition, Andy is running playtests for De Civitates Dei: Occult Horror in 1135 Jerusalem, his latest RPG that he’ll Kickstart in 2019, at 1:00 PM on Wednesday and Thursday of the con. If you are eager to try out a new RPG, Andy’s ready to GM.
“It’s Always Dark in Smoke City
A group of muggers thrash an innocent workman in a back alley.
Mob drug runners flood the streets with filth, profiting on the backs of the addicted and hopeless.
A rogue metahuman uses fantastic pyrokinetic powers to torch an entire neighborhood.
The police are overwhelmed. Prisons overflow with the violent and psychotic. The innocent suffer while the guilty profit.
Some say that justice is all but gone. You know better. Justice hasn’t disappeared. Justice now wears a mask. Your mask.
Never Despair! Never Surrender!
Inspired by the rise of dystopian, darker, contemporary comics from the 1980s onwards, Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics brings the drama and suspense of the world’s greatest comics to your game table. High-stakes action runs hand-in-hand with the new MAFIANAP game mechanics, which emphasize the brutal combat, the intense investigations, and the deep moral quandary found in the Iron Age of Comics. Players become vigilantes in the crime-ridden city of New Corinth, using their unique skills and powerful metahuman abilities to bring justice to darkened streets.
Strap on your domino mask, buckle your utility belt, and grab your grabbling hook! You are the night!
Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics is a complete game. All you need to play is this book and some ten-sided dice.”
* * * * * *
* * * * * *
Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer™
* * * * * *
Egg Embry wrote comic book short stories, edited comic book series, wrote and drew a webcomic, and contributed to comic book journalism across the 2000s. Now, he buys the opportunity to write for a variety of tabletop role-playing games in the tradition of vanity press. His purchases have been published by a variety of companies:
- Sasquatch Game Studio’s Primeval Thule for 5e available at DriveThruRPG.com – Writer
- Ember Design Studios’ Yrisa’s Nightmare for 5e and Pathfinderavailable at DriveThurRPG.com – Writer
- Ember Design Studios’ Rats in the Street for 5e and Pathfinder available at DriveThurRPG.com – Writer & Artist
- Kobold Press’ Tome of Beasts for 5eavailable at KoboldPress.com – Playtester
- Kobold Press’ Deep Magic 9: Ring Magic (5e) available at KoboldPress.com – Playtester
- EN World’ Gaming at the Kids’ Table Column – Journalist
- Total Party Kill Games’ Slaughter at Splinterfang Gorge – Writer
- Total Party Kill Games’ Fifth Edition Fighter Folio – Writer
- Codex The Gauntlet’s Monthly RPG Zine – Writer
- MidCity Comics’ Soon-to-be-Announced Comic Book Mini-Series – Writer