Happy 4th of July! Because it’s Fireworks Over America Day [yeah, that’s a good reason] let’s count down three tabletop RPG Kickstarters that offer wanna-lancer opportunities (the chance to write on these projects, building your resume and demonstrating your skills so you can move from wanna-lancing to freelancing).
3) The Lost Age RPG by Thumos Games
Ends on .
“Heroes build their legend and ascend to godhood in a mythic bronze age tactical RPG. Back as a creator to become a part of the world!
This heroic tactical RPG is set in a mythic land, a place where heroes build their legend in the pursuit of immortality and fantastic creatures inhabit the untamed world. The Lost Age is powered by a new class-free, skill-based system, with goal driven XP, dice-less GMing, and resource management-focused gameplay.
“Verdict: If you enjoy games like Burning Wheel, Pathfinder, or Gloomhaven, I suggest checking out The Lost Age.”
This is a new system so you can get in on the ground floor and show what you can do in a new environment. The art is the winner here. It’s pretty, pretty, pretty!
Wanna-lancer vanity press reward: Create a NPC, a monster, or an adventure for this new system.
2) Atlas Animalia – A book of monster variants by Andreas Walters
Ends on .
“From the creators of the BabyBestiary, explore monster variants like you’ve never seen before! Includes statbooks for 5e and Pathfinder
Have you ever wanted to use a particular creature in your campaign but couldn’t because it would not make sense in the party’s current environment?
Well, look no further, for we have panda owlbears and a variety of other unique creatures for your next campaign!!”
They said “panda owlbears”! We live in times undreamed of! It’s cute AND it will murder kill your PCs dead! Adorable! Here’s the link, give them all of your money!
Wanna-lancer vanity press reward: These are already spoken for, but if one of them opens up you can create an adventure hook/legend and/or design a beast that will murder kill PCs across the world dead! Aim high!
1) Dark Obelisk 2: Character Compendium for Pathfinder RPG by J. Evans Payne
Ends on .
“450+ ready-to-play NPCs and villains for Pathfinder RPG, featuring dozens of Archetypes, henchmen, rumors, and more.
TL;DR: The Value Proposition
If you play, or run, a Pathfinder game, this book will save you time. It’s as simple as that. Hundreds of detailed, ready-to-use PCs/NPCs and animal companions for a great price. Tons of high-quality, intricately-detailed crunch.
Not quite sure? Check out the free PDF DO1 Standard Pregenerated Characters for Pathfinder, a smaller collection of 46 characters that should give you a good sense of what to expect… times seven!”
450+ Pathfinder NPCs. Curious about the quality? They have a sample of 46 NPCs. Or jump in and back the full campaign because what GM does not need enough NPCs to literally populate a small town?
Wanna-lancer vanity press reward: Design a Pathfinder NPC.
Link to the campaign here.
* * *
Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer™
* * *
Egg Embry wrote comic book short stories, edited comic book series, wrote and drew a webcomic, and contributed to comic book journalism across the 2000s. Now, he buys the opportunity to write for a variety of tabletop role-playing games in the tradition of vanity press. His purchases have been published by:
- Sasquatch Game Studio’s Primeval Thule for 5e available at DriveThruRPG.com – Writer
- Ember Design Studios’ Yrisa’s Nightmare for 5e and Pathfinder available at DriveThurRPG.com – Writer
- Ember Design Studios’ Rats in the Street for 5e and Pathfinder available at DriveThurRPG.com – Writer & Artist
- Kobold Press’ Tome of Beasts for 5e available at KoboldPress.com – Playtester
- Kobold Press’ Deep Magic 9: Ring Magic (5e) available at KoboldPress.com – Playtester
- EN World’ Gaming at the Kids’ Table Column – Journalist
- Total Party Kill Games’ Slaughter at Splinterfang Gorge – Writer
- Total Party Kill Games’ Fifth Edition Fighter Folio – Writer
- MidCity Comics’ Soon-to-be-Announced Comic Book Mini-Series – Writer